October 24, 2021

GoHelpMate

Your Trusted Service Expert …

gohelpmate.com/dangerous this in home

Few Things That Could Be Dangerous in Your House

Damaged electrical outlets. It’s all fun and games when it happens to a cartoon character, but exposed outlets or improperly wired switches are very dangerous, especially to young children. In all, electrical malfunctions are the cause of thousands of fires a year. To prevent accidents like these, call a licensed electrician to fix or repair damaged electrical outlets and wiring.

A blocked sewer. The methane and other gases released from a blocked sewer are not only unpleasant, but they are also potentially fatal. Methane is an odorless gas that can cause headaches, heart palpitations, dizziness, and unconsciousness. If you smell sewage, you may also be inhaling dangerous amounts of methane as well. If you need sewer repair, call a professional, licensed plumber immediately.

Loose ceiling fans. No one wants a quiet evening of binge-watching Netflix / favourite TV series disrupted by a ceiling fan crashing on your head. An improperly installed ceiling fan can be a serious danger. If the fan’s hook is loose or weak, the ceiling fan may be at risk of falling. To maintain your safety, have a professional install your ceiling fan and be sure to check it regularly.

Paint fumes. That lovely sandstone you painted your living room walls may be a health risk. Traditional paints and solvents emit volatile organic compounds (or VOCs, as they are also known). Some of these chemicals have been shown to cause cancer in animals and are suspected of causing cancer in humans. For optimal safety, hire a professional painter.

Cleanliness. We all want a clean bathroom, but not at the risk of our health. When you’re giving the throne a spring cleaning, make sure you don’t mix and match cleansers. The Centers for Disease Control has warned that mixing ammonia and bleach while cleaning your bathroom can create toxic gases. The fumes from this combination can attack your eyes and mucous membranes, and even leave you unconscious. Get it done professionally.

Mold. So colorful, so dangerous. Mold, in all its varieties – black, green, orange or red – can be harmful. Black mold, especially, can be dangerous to your health. There have been cases of black mold exposure causing nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the lungs and nose. When removing mold, be sure to use protective gloves, masks, and glasses, and to keep the area as well ventilated as possible. Get it done professionally.

Pesticides. Leave pesticides to the pests. Many kitchen, laundry, and bathroom disinfectants are sources of harmful pesticides, causing dizziness, nausea, and headaches. In extreme cases, exposure to pesticides can cause damage to the liver, kidneys and nervous system. Get it done professionally.

Lead. Get the lead out – of your home! Despite increasingly tougher regulations, lead still poses serious health risks to homeowners. Lead pipes, contaminated soil, and lead paint are the biggest sources of lead exposure, so take extra precautions. Check for peeling, chipped, or cracked paint regularly and have a lead professional test your home for the presence of lead, especially if you live in an older home. Get it done professionally.